[PVFS-users] Re: Quick Question

David N. Lombard david.lombard@mscsoftware.com
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 12:58:45 -0700

Robert Ross wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2000, Jeffrey B Layton wrote:
>
> > Actually, there is a variable called FOPEN_MAX (it's part the
> > standard C library) that is the minimum number of files that the
> > implementation guarantees can be open simultaneously.  That's
> > kind of what I've been going by (since it's a minimum).
>
> Gotcha.  That seems reasonable.

The most accurate value is returned from getrlimit( RLIMIT_NOFILE,
struct rlimit *rlim )

This is the value the *limit commands return.  There are "hard"
(rlim.rlim_max) and "soft" (rlim.rlim_cur) limits.  In bash, ulimit -Ha
will show the hard limits and $(ulimit -Sa) will show the soft limits.
In this case, you likely want to raise your soft limit to your hard
limit.  Only root can raise the hard limit.

--
David N. Lombard