[PVFS2-developers] 1: small mem/bug fix

Phil Carns pcarns at wastedcycles.org
Wed Jun 8 19:01:06 EDT 2005

Robert Latham wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 05:12:05AM -0400, Beilloin, David wrote:
>
>>1°) small mem leak in src/client/sysint/client-state-machine.c
>>details: the first call to PINT_client_state_machine_post create a
>>job context through CLIENT_SM_INIT_ONCE but at this level we don't
>>know when to free this context
>>
>>in src/client/sysint/initialize a PVFS_sys_job_context is allocated
>>and freed in src/client/sysint/finalize. as it is not use anywhere,
>>I supposed that it was aimed for this ??
>>
>>solution : just make pint_client_sm_context point to PVFS_sys_job_context
>

> I don't think I understand your proposed solution very well.  Not
> saying it's wrong, just that it's dealing with code I'm not terribly
> familiar with.   Can anybody tell me more about the intended use of
> PVFS_sys_job_context and pint_client_sm_context, and if David's
> suggestion to just have pint_client_sm_context point to
> PVFS_sys_job_context makes sense?

 From my interpretation of the code, I think that David is right.  They
were both probably meant to serve the same purpose- to be the general
purpose context that all of the client side jobs get posted to.
PVFS_sys_job_context just isn't used anymore.  From a code
beautification point of view it might be better to completely get rid of
one variable or the other rather than assigning the two to be equal, but
either way has the same effect in the end as long as the context is
opened during initialize and closed during finalize.

Good catch- those variables are confusing!

-Phil