[PVFS2-developers] patch: log msg timestamp formats

Phil Carns pcarns at wastedcycles.org
Mon Mar 7 19:19:28 EST 2005

Pete Wyckoff wrote:
> pcarns at wastedcycles.org wrote on Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:33 +0100:
>
>>This patch adds the ability to time stamp log messages with a date and
>>time rather than the default hr:min:sec:usec format.  This is useful for
>>production systems if you are more worried about the approximate time
>>that an error occurred rather than debugging performance problems.
>
> Good stuff.  As I was the previous person to touch the log timestamps I
> heartily approve of your change.  Nice runtime config option too.  Do
> you set the logstamp type in the client too, according to the config
> file?  Could always add another env var if not.

No, the client doesn't do anything with it in this patch, though that's
not a bad idea.  I just did the server since it is more likely to leave
persistent logs laying around.

As a side note, the api hooks would allow the timestamp format to be
changed on the fly as well, if someone wanted to write a command line
tool to do it (ala pvfs2-set-debugmask).

-Phil