[PVFS2-users] Multiple mount points

Henry Leyh henry.leyh at ipp.mpg.de
Wed Sep 1 10:10:35 EDT 2004

Thus spake neillm at mcs.anl.gov on 08/31/2004 10:41 PM:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 04:43:21PM +0200, Henry Leyh wrote:
>
>>I am running pvfs2-0.6.3 (kernel 2.4) on two independent servers (i.e.
>>each one with its own pvfs2 storage, server and metaserver).  I can
>>mount each of them on a client machine (using the kernel module) and
>>everything works fine.  However, when I then try to mount the other one
>>(at another mount point) the mount command fails with 'wrong fs type,
>>bad option, bad superblock on pvfs2, or too many mounted file systems'.
>> I thought this was possible since the announcement to pvfs2-0.1.3 says
>>'the kernel module... can now properly handle mounting multiple volumes
>>from the same or differing servers'.  Am I on the wrong track there?
>

> Can you clarify that you're *not* trying to mount the same file system
> twice on the same node?  That isn't supported right now, and you
> should see exactly the error you're seeing.
>
> As far as mounting multiple different file systems from a single node,
> be sure that you're configuration is correct (i.e. pvfs2-client
> programs are running on all clients, pvfs2-servers are running, etc),
> as it can be tricky.  This functionality is certainly supported.

Reading your answer made me think (at last :-)  I used a sort of
template file as pvfs2-fs.conf with both file systems having the same
name 'pvfs2-fs' there.  After changing that and the ID, it is working
now.  The background is, we are planning to install pvfs2 on all of our
80 cluster machines.  (Without redundancy in pvfs2, we don't like the
idea of a single big file system on such a large number of hosts.)  So I
would like to have some script creating the config files instead of
using pvfs2-genconfig.

Thanks a lot & Greetings,
Henry

--
Henry Leyh, Dipl.-Phys.
Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik - Stellarator Theory Group

"Fabricati diem, pvnc." -- The Ankh-Morpork City Watch