[PVFS2-users] Pvfs2-server dies

neillm at mcs.anl.gov neillm at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 3 15:35:55 EDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:07:02AM -0700, Kenneth Leung wrote:
> I ran the server in the foreground and it looks like a pvfs2-cp command
> generates a segmentation fault. Here is what was displayed by the
> server:
>
> About to retrieve attributes for handle 613566760
> (0x80de238) io (prelude sm) state: perm_check
> (0x80de238) io state: send_ack
> (0x80de238) io state: start_flow
> (0x80de238) io state: send_completion_ack
> (0x80de238) io state: release
> (0x80de238) io state: cleanup
> Segmentation fault
>
> We have 5 I/O servers and the same thing seems to happen on all. Is are
> there any other troubleshooting steps that can be done?

Hello Ken,

Nathan, thanks for steering Ken in the right direction, but I've been
able reproduce this on Redhat 9.0 just as described and it's an _odd_
bug.  We don't ordinarily develop on the Redhat distro, so it's hard
to notice some quirks like this.  It appears to be a broken NPTL
threading library, or else we're somehow using it incorrectly (as it
differs from other popular distros where our usage is ok).  For now,
there's only one workaround that I know about, and that is
unfortunately to disable the use of the NTPL threading libraries on
Redhat 9.0.

To do this, you can add the following line to your server start
scripts just before running the pvfs2-server:

[ for the bash shell ]
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

[ for other shells ]
set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.2.5

For more information on what setting this environment variable does,
please see http://people.redhat.com/drepper/assumekernel.html

Best regards,
-Neill.