[Pvfs2-users] performance problem

Emmanuel Florac eflorac at intellique.com
Tue May 13 13:37:34 EDT 2008

Hi, I've made a pvfs2 cluster to agregate storage from 2 machines. The
machines run Linux Debian etch with 2.6.22.19 linux. All is well, both
machines are identical with 3Ware raid controllers, and write disk
thruput is about 550MB/s.
Each machine has 4 GigEth ports. I've dedicated 2 of them to link the
machines together (bonding, 802.3ad) for the pvfs traffic, the 2 others
are connected to the outside world. The purpose is to provide a rough
ftp/samba storage thru the VFS layer, and it works fine.

However the performance is abysmal : the network thruput between the
nodes is 8MB/s while copying! the total cluster write performance
(cp from local disk to pvfs storage) is 17 MB/s.... What can be going so
wrong? Any hint would be appreciated.