[Pvfs2-users] multiple filesystems

Chris Poultney crispy at cs.nyu.edu
Wed Oct 20 14:38:19 EDT 2010

I'd like to set up two shares to be managed by the same PVFS server.
I've read in the docs that I can have multiple filesystem entries in
pvfs2-fs.conf, but I haven't been able to successfully do this. Does
someone have an example config file with multiple filesystem entries
that they can share?

More details:

I've successfully set up a single share based on the quick start guide.
It's a four-node network: one metadata server, four i/o nodes. Nodes are
identical, each 6x dual-core xeon, LAN connection, running ubuntu lucid.
To generate the two-filesystem config file, I ran pvfs2-genconfig twice,
then pasted the filesystem section from the second file into the first,
making sure the Name and ID fields were unique. This was based on 3.9 in
the PVFS2 FAQ, "Can I mount more than one PVFS file system on the same
client?"

Using the two-filesystem config file, pvfs2-server -f works, but then
pvfs2-server (with or without -d) ends immediately with a segfault.
Nothing is written to the console or logfiles. I tried a different
version of pvfs2-fs.conf with non-overlapping MetaHandleRange and
DataHandleRange values for the two filesystems, but as I'm not exactly
clear on what these do I'm not sure if that's the right approach. I've
attached the conf file for a single-server test of two filesystems, with
separate Range value.

Thanks,
-crispy